Maternity package and supplies
A maternity package contains all the necessities that are useful for the care of the birth at home and maternity care. Read more about the contents of the maternity package and where it is available.
There are health insurers that offer a maternity package. Therefore, first check with your health insurance whether you are entitled to a maternity package. The maternity package is also available at a number of drugstores, or can be put together yourself.
The maternity package includes:
- 2 packs of maternity pads
- 6 cellulose pads
- 1 pack of zigzag cotton wool
- 1 bottle of alcohol 70%
- 2 packets of sterile gauze ("zestientjes")
- thermometer (digital)
- 6 sterile gauzes (10 by 10)
- 2 net pants or large underpants
- 2 large maternity mattresses (only for home birth)
- plastic sheet to protect the mattress
- umbilical clamp
- diaper tape
For the baby it is convenient to have:
- ± 6 rompersuits or wrap vests
- ± 6 sweaters and pants or suits
- 2 hats
- 12 hydrophilic diapers (separate from any disposable diapers)
- 6 burp cloths
- 1 metal approved jar
- pitcher bag
- bath (+ standard)
- 1 diaper pail
- thermometer (one for baby and one for mother)
In order to allow the maternity nurses to work safely, the Dutch ARBO has required the maternity bed to be increased to a minimum of 70cm. This is the distance measured from the ground to the top of the mattress.
At the Thuiszorgwinkel, bedraisers in different sizes can be ordered to raise the bed. If bedraisers are not possible, beer crates may be an option.
The Thuiszorgwinkel Amsterdam can be reached on 088-1020100.